7.19.2009

samamidon: the originals

The summer of 2007 saw my already growing love for American folk music climbing exponentially. I spent the summer riding my bike through the Old City to WDVX studios on Gay Street, where I attended The Blue Plate Special every single day. I also helped produce Matt Morelock's "Happy Camper" radio show on Monday nights. We played two hours of old American recordings followed by two hours of music from Matt's obscure world music collection. I often wore overalls, I was the new owner of a little hound dog, and my car was smashed. And it rained three times in as many months. Something about that summer seemed very antique. It was very James Agee, if I may use that as an adjective.

Shortly after the summer ended, I was introduced to Samamidon, a musician from New York. A Vermont native, his parents were folk musicians with an affinity for Appalachian traditionals. Samamidon's most recent album, All Is Well, is a collection of covers of some of those very songs. Even though it didn't come out until the following winter, I always think of summer 2007 when I hear it.


All Is Well was recorded in Valgeir SigurĂ°sson's Greenhouse Studio in Iceland (as was Bonnie 'Prince' Billy's The Letting Go, Mum's Finally We Are No One, and most of Bjork's albums), with arrangements by Nico Muhly (Grizzly Bear's Veckatimest, Antony and the Johnsons' The Crying Light, Bonnie 'Prince' Billy's The Letting Go), and it is beautiful and chilly.

A few All Is Well tracks along with the oldest recording of the song I could find (most were written before the recording industry blossomed):
_______________

"Saro"

Doug and Jack Wallin (mp3)








Samamidon (mp3)







_______________

"Wild Bill Jones"

Dock Boggs (mp3)








Samamidon (mp3)







_______________

"Fall On My Knees"

Fred Cockerham, Oscar Jenkins & Tommy Jarrell (mp3)








Samamidon (mp3)







_______________

"Little Satchel"

Fred Cockerham (mp3)








Samamidon (mp3)







_______________

"Sugar Baby"

Dock Boggs (mp3)








Samamidon (mp3)







_______________

No comments: